Thursday 15 October 2009

Jim Jones Revue


I've got a bit of a love / hate relationship with rock and roll. I suppose I'm rather old fashion in once sense of the word. I like my cliche ideologies, my Almost Famous dream-like ethos and my uber played-out Laurel Canyon arcadia.

It's not like I think 'rock and roll can save the world' or anything ridiculously callow like that, I just get excited about music and the bands who make the music I love. And that, and that alone, is why I think the Jim Jones Revue are a lasting life line of this rock and roll escapade we're all searching for, a revived heart beat that's still trudging on through the shit and the squalor of the dying visions of pure ectasy, worthless riffs and seemingly throw-away penned words.

Why are the Jim Jones Revue so important though? Well, firstly the fervour and rustic bite of their back-to-Berry howls echo a sound like no other in this day and age. It's thrilling and breath taking, a non-stop train of fucking growls and scowls and screams and shouts that takes no time to pause, no time to consider your feelings and no time to revel in any mistakes or past problems - it's a live for the moment type thing and when you're in it, you're in it. There's no getting out of it, no escaping and certainly no avoiding, that is, until Jim Jones himself has put down his guitar and stripped off his flashy gold embezzled jacket and foxy bow tie for a quick breather before the next destroyed screeching blitz of musical massacre.

Fundamentally they're a rhythm and blues band who like to kick up a bit of noise, but once they've been iced with all of the distortion and static and glass gargling cries that appear prevalent of their record it becomes a totally different affair - a dirty, middle fingered, screaming curse of rock and roll that lives in the filthy soul of our heroes past, and in this case, our future heroes who are here to seriously clutter your mind with mayhem.

The second reason, and yes I was getting onto this, that Jim Jones Revue are so completely and utterly awesome is Jim Jones himself. Call me a dreamer, call me an idealist or simply call me a knob, but this is a man who is rock and roll, just as Jagger was, just as Neil Young still is, he is it, he has it, he fucked it and came out victorious. X Factor? pah! this is what it's all about: Captivating, hypnotic, mesmerising and one hundred per cent fucking real.

Indulge and get caught up in it, you'll never look back.

No comments: