Thursday 6 August 2009

La Roux - I'm an idiot and she's very good


Ok. I apologise. Once again, being a naive little guitar obsessed prat has come and bit me right in the arse. After muchos hype I gave in and bought the La Roux album which I have to say has knocked my socks of with its electro-pop wonderness.

I always seem to shy away from synths and self-proclaimed revolutionairy pop stars. I just don't really get on with the whole concept of electro. Maybe it's just that I have never really liked it before or maybe it's because I shut myself up in a folk-bubble of I-don't-want-to-like-anything-because-I'm-a-plonker, but here, I stand well and truly corrected. Slap me with a heavy-beat and let me touch La Roux's quiff, she's fantastic.

Highlights for me on this uber-contagious, beat-bleep packed debut include 'Tigerlilly' and 'Colourless Colour. Hook-laden chorus's and chirpy upbeat tweets take the 80's dance scene and mould their reputable credentials into an exciting modernisation that screams top-pop excitement.

La Roux's actually lived up to the various seemingly pompus presumptions that spilled from her gob in the past six months. But, you know what?, I'm going to let the dance-prance high note hitting new queen of pop talk all the comtemptuous crap she wants. Songs like 'Quicksand' and 'In For The kill' defy modern pop's building blocks and far from conform to any sort of commercial regime, but in some obscure realm they have the potencey and power to take over the charts, one by one.

Fuck Lady GaGa, a so called breath of fresh pop-air. It's La Roux who takes the crown. And while I sit here pondering what a twat I've been I'm happy that the impending chart derby is in the hands of Elly Jackson and her poptastic, electro beauties.

No comments: